AGCAP has become the benchmark model for school, industry, tertiary and higher education partnerships in NSW. Developed through a unique collaboration between the Make it Work Foundation (Narrabri Chamber of Commerce), the Department of Education and State Training Services, the governance committee manages the AGCAP program.
The Committee is responsible for maintaining the rigour of the AGCAP program and support the development of pathways for students. The aim is to provide students with positive experiences that encourages them to pursue a long term career in the industry and live and work in their local region.
The program achieves this by enhancing the career pathway and post school study opportunities for students who are studying a vocational qualification in a formal school based traineeship arrangement.
The first group of 16 AGCAP students from the New England area graduated with Certificate II qualifications in 2013. To date, the key qualification focus has been on the agricultural training package. In 2015 this was extended to cover traineeships in the meat related industries.
- Position AG CAP as an aspirational pathway attracting young people to rewarding careers and jobs in agriculture and related industries.
- Produce and retain credible, talented young people to live, learn and work in regional and rural NSW.
- Promote advanced practice, technologies and emerging skills in agriculture and related services.
- Build a collegiate AGCAP alumni embracing career progression, professional development and lifelong learning.
Guiding Principles and Enablers
- AGCAP is delivered and supported through regional coalitions including education and industry.
- AGCAP generates a critical mass that enables students from different schools across a region to participate through the distributed campus model.
- Student’s skills and knowledge is developed through school based learning, workplace experience and partnership with specialist providers.
- Learning and assessment is enhanced through scheduled industry visits to research organisations, agricultural enterprises, service providers and industry peaks.
- The regional pathway is credible, endorsed and proactively supported by all stakeholders.
- Industry supports AGCAP through expert advice, resources and as SBAT employers.
- AGCAP’s success is underpinned by a transparent, fair and equitable funding regime and timely administrative processes.
- AGCAP students participate in programs outside their school delivered by specialist agricultural training provider.
- The AGCAP Committee is to review and endorse any expansion of the program.
- Parties recognise that AgriBusiness Careers and Professions AGCAP is a registered business name held by the Narrabri and District Chamber of Commerce.
For more detailed information about the program visit: http://northernnsw.startmytrade.com.au/content/filelibrary/AGCAP_general_information_.pdf
Watch the video below and find out how the AGCAP trial is progressing.